Friday, August 28, 2009

Le Cafe Confectionery & Pastry
264 Middle Road
Singapore 188990


Sometimes the best discoveries are the ones that you make when you're just wandering around. Even if it is 30 degrees and too humid to be out for a 5km stroll....This was one of them, a place called Le Cafe, next to a Hainanese Chicken joint. What drew me to it was the sheer amount of PR paraphenalia at the front. It was mesmerising.




WE'RE FAMOUS!! It screamed. THEY LOVE US!!! No shy and retiring pastry shop was this. In fact it looked less like a retail outlet than a wholesale outlet. My new friend L, with whom I had lunch the next day, thought it fitting that I had bumped into this place, his favourite source for Pineapple Tarts.

These tasty little suckers came in a minimum order of a box of 10, for S$7.30.

Don't let their appearance fool you. They are buttery, flaky and rich. The "pineapple" aspect is the innards of sticky pineapple jam. The tarts also contain "No pork, no lard", as the label helpfully points out. Lard I can understand but pork?? I'm clearly out of some loop here, it never occurred to me to watch out for pork in a Pineapple Tart.


The pineapple jam is chewy, not so much jam as fruit jellies, and not strong in pineapple taste but with the buttery rich pastry, deeply moreish.


Would I recommend these? Absolutely, even if you don't have a sweet tooth. They are probably best eaten sparingly, I fear that eating too many of these in one sitting leads to a certain feeling of overindulgence.

No comments: