Monday, November 9, 2009

Adriano Zumbo's Birthday Macaron Madness

6 November 2009




Really, when it comes down to it, the blame is shared mostly between Adriano Zumbo and Grab Your Fork. On and of course Twitter as the "enabler", and all those folks who tweeted from the macaron queue last Friday.  In the end, the lure was too great, and I succumbed, though not as early as some dedicated bloggers who were there at 730am!



I arrived at just past noon, and there were still plenty of macarons for one and all. The queue was also quite manageable, numbering only about ten or so people.  It only took me about 10 minutes to both queue and buy the macarons.



The blue ones in the bowl standing upright are the Chupa Chup ones.



I started counting the flavours.....


.
.....and kept on counting.....



....until I realised that it was probably impossible to stick to any predetermined number....



....and that it was best to just let myself go.



This is one of the lists that were handed out to help the macaron fans. There were some flavours (e.g. French Toast) that weren't on the printed list. Helen at Grab Your Fork has the full list here.



Which macarons did I end up buying and who would be my macaron eating partner in crime?



Someone with a Manometro S from Giuliano Mazzuoli. 



Unfortunately, one of the boxes of macarons (ten in each box) did not travel terribly well.






It made an odd type of sense, this unexpected pairing of macarons and Giuliano Mazzuoli.....



The Manometro S, from the Manometro Sport range, has a case made entirely of carbon fibre. 40 layers of black carbon fiber in fact!  It has a diameter of 45.2 mm and a 14.8 mm thickness, a titanium crown positioned at 2 o’clock, and a rubber strap inserted directly into the case. The watch is water resistant to 5 atm and its caseback is inscribed titanium.



This one has a lizard strap instead, with what an ardillon stainless steel buckle.  "Ardillon" means an articulated metal catch that is inserted in a hole in the leather strap and secured by the buckle.



Mr Manometro S doesn't have that much of a sweet tooth, and I can only eat so much sugar in any given day, so by the next day there were still some macarons left.....



How many left?



Oops! Half of them!



Mr Manometro S has been busily preparing for the Australian Antiquarian Book Fair.  I'll be there, will you?




Oh and the remaining macarons? All gone. The last one eaten was the the Chocolate & Salted Caramel.

I wasn't keeping as close tabs on each of them as I should have but the flavours I purchased were - French Toast, Chocolate & Salted Caramel, Lamington, Mango & Tonka Bean, Finger Bun, Pink Grapefruit, Burnt Butter, Fig & Blackcurrant, Mastic Yoghurt Cucumber & Mint, Turkish Delight, Olive Oil & Rosemary, Carrot Cake, Chocolate & Passionfruit, Green Tea, Beer & Peanuts, Chocolate Citrus, Cheesecake, Popcorn and I can't remember the remaining ones!

Happy birthday Adriano!

Now pass me something savoury, I think that I'm all sugared out.



[AP]

2 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Haha, nice work. Not sure whether I should feel guilty or vindicated! Would have loved to have tried the beer and peanuts version but they hadn't arrived by the time we left :(

The Sydney Tarts said...

I swear that had you not done that post & tweeted, I'd probably have succumbed to self control!

I can't even remember what the beer one tasted like...it all became a haze at some point. Perhaps I was eating them too quickly.